Friday, May 22, 2015

HE ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT


It’s not easy to remain calm as we have watched cataclysmic events occurring in our world in the past few weeks.
  •       Two major earthquakes in Nepal and numerous smaller      quakes right here in the U.S.
  •      Hundreds of immigrants drowned trying to cross the      Mediterranean Sea in an overcrowded small boat.
  •      Iran defying the world regarding its nuclear options and essentially thumbing its nose at the United States and the rest of the world.
  •     The former head of the CIA pleading guilty to leaking classified documents to his mistress.
  •     California in the midst of a terrible drought.
  •     Terrorists taking control of large portions of Syria, Iraq, Libya, Yemen and other nations in northern Africa.
  •     Persecution of Christians taking place all over the world and intensifying.
  •     Nine dead in a wild biker gang shootout in Waco, TX.
  •     A rising tide of anger at law enforcement in the U.S.

And the list goes on and on and seems to grow daily.
If I understand biblical prophecy at all, these are the beginning of sorrows or “birth pains” (see Matthew 24:8 and Mark 13:8) that Jesus said would come. And we have not seen the most intense and painful sorrows, yet!
Does it seem to you that the tempo of disastrous events and change in the world is picking up?
As I reflected on the stressful times and was praying about the circumstances we are facing, the Lord led me to a wonderful promise. This is a word from the Lord that is as emphatic in its declaration of God’s care for us as the times we live in are difficult. It is a powerful promise to wrap your arms around and hold tightly.
Hebrews 13:5-6 (ESV):
Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for He has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” So we can confidently say,
The Lord is my helper;
 I will not fear;
 What can man do to me?”

The meaning here is clear and we understand that we are not to be driven by a desire to get things, to clutch and grasp at material possessions, for we have been promised something far greater.
This is an emphatic promise! In the original language, it would read something like this, “For He Himself has said, ‘I will not, I will not cease to sustain and uphold you; I will not abandon you or leave you helpless in dangerous or hostile circumstances.’”
How many times in Scripture do we see the Father get this strong and direct with us? For Him to repeat three times, “I will not!” means He doesn’t want us to miss the message.
I am not a perfect dad, not by any stretch of the imagination or use of flowery language. There were times when I raised my voice to my children. (I tried that once with Carol and after I did, I didn’t see her for a week. On the eighth day, I was able to get my left eye open just a little.) I tried not to raise my voice with my daughters when I was upset about something, but only when I wanted them to understand how strongly I felt about the subject under discussion—not in anger, but only in intensity.
I believe the use of repetition in this verse is God raising His voice and showing His intensity because He wants us to get the message. He is not raising His voice in anger but just like a loving father, He is reassuring His children who are being buffeted on all sides and wondering what is next. Wondering if, in this developing chaos, we are going to suddenly be abandoned, lied to and let down by Him, too.
Sometimes the only way to quiet a tumultuous situation is to speak loudly and sharply enough to cut through the commotion and confusion. God raises His voice to cut through the chaos so that He can get our attention, so we will be reminded that He rules the raging of the sea (see Psalm 89:8-9)
When confusion, anxiety and fear are all around, then God speaks directly to us and says, “I will not, I WILL NOT, I WILL NOT abandon you, leave you helpless and without defense. I WILL NOT!”



No comments:

Post a Comment