Friday, February 6, 2015

IN STEP WITH THE SPIRIT - PART 2


After the blog “In Step with the Spirit” was published a few weeks ago, I was asked the question, “What can I do to get in step with the Holy Spirit?”

The list below is only a partial answer to that question. It is not meant to be inclusive but is more of a conversation starter than anything. If you have an insight about this question, please send it to me and the next time I write on the Holy Spirit (and it won’t be that long) I’ll include your thought and give appropriate credit.

  1. Ask yourself, “Do I really want to be in step with the Spirit?”
Many believers basically ignore the Holy Spirit. They acknowledge that the Bible mentions the Holy Spirit’s presence in their life. They read the Word, they listen to sermons, and once in a while they have a strong prayer time but that’s it. They tend to treat the Holy Spirit as if He is not a part of the Trinity and that whatever value He has to us is not that important. Those who have adopted this position will never enjoy the full presence of the Spirit or His leading until they change their attitude toward Him and toward His involvement in their life.

If this is you then let me encourage you to carefully study what Jesus said when He introduced the disciples to the Holy Spirit. Here are some scriptures to begin this study—John 14:15-31; John 15:26; John 16:5-15.

The primary key to being in step with the Spirit is, “Are you hungry for more of God in your life?” The key to all forward movement, spiritually, is hunger. “Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled” (Matthew 5:6; also see Proverbs 8:17 and Jeremiah 29:13).

  1. Are you open to the Holy Spirit? Have you welcomed Him to lead and guide you? Do you talk to the Holy Spirit?
Many believers seem to have the mistaken idea that they are not to talk to the Holy Spirit. They know they are free to talk to God and to Jesus but for some reason they feel that the Holy Spirit is off limits—so they never do.

I know the Holy Spirit is in me (1 Corinthians 3:16 and 6:19). I have asked the Holy Spirit to fill me to overflowing with His power and His presence just like the Apostle Paul said: “I want to be being filled (continuously) with the Spirit.”

I have made it a practice in my personal prayer time to daily welcome the Holy Spirit to guide me, to correct me, to reveal (to open the Word) to me. In other words, I want the Holy Spirit to be fully active in me and through me. I put no prohibitions on Him—to do so would be an insult to the Godhead. I honor the Holy Spirit and I hunger for Him to be fully active in and through me.

  1. Where are you in regard to the fruit of the Spirit?
If we are serious about being in step with the Spirit, we need to be actively cultivating the fruit of the Spirit in our life. No one can suggest that they are walking with the Spirit if there is no evidence of the fruit of the Spirit.

The development of the fruit of the Spirit is a progressive work. We may be further ahead in showing forth some of the fruit of the Spirit than we are in others, and while we wish we could be fully developed in all at the same time, it’s not a sin if some are showing stronger than others. But please don’t completely ignore the fruit of the Spirit and don’t bypass some and give precedence to others.

I think it’s valuable, from time to time, to take a personal inventory of the fruit of the Spirit (see Galatians 5:22-23). If you are weak in some then ask the Spirit to help you and make it a personal practice to work on those weak areas. You are going to be pleasantly surprised at what happens!

One more thing. I was raised in a classical Pentecostal church. Many of the people I went to church with believed that their initial “filling” with the Holy Spirit was the reception of the complete package and that there was nothing more to be added. Consequently, they sought nothing more and they got nothing more. I wonder, if that premise were true, why Paul would tell us that we should continually seek for more of the Spirit (Ephesians 5:18).

I’m including a link to two short video interviews of John Piper talking about his desire to be filled with the Spirit. I have great respect for John Piper and I love to read his books and his sermons. For those who are interested, here’s the link:

No comments:

Post a Comment