Friday, October 3, 2014

FATHER



The disciples asked Jesus to teach them to pray and Jesus responded, “And He said to them, When you pray, say, Our Father . . .” (Luke 11:2).

“Father”—as He used that one word, Jesus was destroying centuries of very constricted religious thinking! This was truly a cataclysmic moment and it had to be shocking to the disciples!

Are you shaking your head wondering what is so inflammatory about the use of the word “Father”?

In the ancient world, Jewish authors and scholars would not write out or pronounce the name of God. They felt that to do so was sacrilegious and showed a lack of reverence. Instead of using His name, they put abbreviations (YHWH for Yahweh) or used the words “the Name” to indicate that it was God they were speaking of. Never would they refer to the Lord God almighty as Father!

All through the Old Testament God was regarded as being remote and stern. He was seen as a tough judge who instituted the hard line of the Law to keep His people in line. Man could only communicate with such a stern God with trembling and in fear.

As I stated a moment ago, in Old Testament times no one ever addressed God as Father except in rather indirect terms. But now a new day was dawning and here in the New Testament Jesus casts aside any of the fear of Old Testament times. He speaks of God as “our Father” and does so with frequency in His teachings. This revelation by Jesus put man’s relationship with God on an entirely new footing. Suddenly, God almighty, the eternal infinite God, is saying through His Son that He would be pleased to have all His children call Him “Father.” God is expressing His tremendous, eternal love for His children.

I was very blessed to have a wonderful relationship with my earthly father. My dad was quiet (just like me) and a strong Christian. Even after I was married and in my forties, every time I saw my dad he would kiss me on the cheek and say, “I love you, son.” My dad’s unwavering expression of love has deeply impacted my understanding of God’s love for me and my love for my wife and my family. When I contemplate the word “Father” in relation to God, the warmth of my earthly dad’s love tells me, “If my dad could love me that much then how much more does my heavenly Father love me?”

“If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him” (Matthew 7:11, ESV).

Unfortunately for many of you reading this blog, your relationship with your dad is not the same as mine. Your dad may have been a selfish person who didn’t care for you. Or he may have been a drug addict or an alcoholic who brought nothing but trouble and pain to your home. A huge and growing problem in our society is the number of children growing up today with no fathers in the home. Mom got pregnant and the sperm donor had no intention of marrying her and raising their child. The inner cities of our nation are reaping the results of this narcissistic thinking. The growing problem of fatherlessness has birthed a restless, troubled generation of children that is bringing a lot of pain to our world.

Children without fathers rarely grow up to be well balanced. Instead, fatherless children often grow up full of pain and doubt, wondering if they are really wanted or loved. Being fatherless has created a tremendous struggle for many new Christians to fully accept God as their Father. It is not impossible, of course, but it seems to take so much longer than it does for someone who has a father who loves them and was there for them.

We begin our relationship with “our Father” by accepting the fact that He has chosen to be just that. God is pleased to have us as His children! He has expressed that through His love for us: “God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us” (Romans 5:8, ESV; also see John 3:16).

Child of God, you need to ponder the truth that “He loves me!” Take that expression to prayer and ask Him to make it real to you. If you struggle at all to believe that He really, really loves you, then I beg you to get before Him in prayer and let Him wrap His arms of love around you. Let Him reveal His love to you—and He will. Read again the gospels and pay special attention to how tenderly Jesus cares for those in need. What you are seeing in these stories of His ministry here on earth is a picture of how much God cares for you!


God loves us and He is “our Father!”

No comments:

Post a Comment