Friday, May 2, 2014

COME OUT OF THE STRONGHOLD

  
Before David was actually crowned the king of Judah, he went through several years of testing.  It was during this time that David’s character was formed and his relationship with God was deepened.

This episode in his life begins when David had to flee because Saul was trying to kill him (1 Samuel 21:10-15). David fled into Philistine territory where he was quickly recognized as the man who had killed their hero Goliath, and this put him at risk. When David heard what the people were saying about him, his concern turned to fear, and to protect himself he pretended to be insane. The Philistine leaders observed his bizarre behavior and wanted nothing to do with a madman, so they wouldn’t let him stay.

David again ran and this time he ended up staying out of sight in a cave, also in Philistine territory. Somehow word spread that David was in hiding and some of his family came to be with him—but they were not the only ones. About 400 others who were in distress, in debt, in all sorts of trouble, came to join David. This is how David became the leader of an army of malcontents: angry, bitter people running away from their problems, running from their hurt and sickness.

After a time, David and his ragtag army left the cave and journeyed to the land of the Moabites where they dwelt in a stronghold. It was there that one of God’s prophets, Gad, came to David with a message from the Lord: “Do not remain in the stronghold; depart, and go to the land of Judah” (1 Samuel 22:5, ESV). 

This is a pretty straightforward message: “Stop running around and hiding in enemy territory and get back to the country where you belong.” David took the message to heart and he and his “army” left Moab and went into one of the remote areas of Judah.

What does this have to do with us in 2014? Actually, it is a very powerful word for every believer!

Sometimes life beats up on us; we get hammered and beaten down because of disappointments, discouragement, sickness and a thousand and one other reasons. At times like these it is very easy to retreat, “hide in a cave,” and stop pressing on. Have you ever felt like that? I have—and I admit it. There are moments as I move through troubling circumstances that I find myself thinking, “I just can’t go on; I’m too tired and I’ve fought so long and so hard. I can’t keep doing this.” 

The word stronghold means “a net, a trap, a snare” and it also means “a position that has been fortified against attack.” When I give in to my feelings of discouragement, I am giving in to a snare, a trap, and as long as I stay there that’s exactly what happens to me . . . I’m trapped. Sometimes when we stay in such a situation we begin to erect defensive positions to protect ourselves from further hurt.

The prophet’s word to David was, “Go to the land of Judah” (1 Samuel 22:5). One of meanings of Judah is “praise.” And this is the word of the Lord to all of us today: “Don’t stay in the land of despair; get up and move into the land of praise.” It will take some effort on your part, as it has on mine, but you can do this!

I choose to live in the land of praise and rejoicing instead of giving in to feelings of despair and self-pity. When I feel despair beginning to rise, I respond by beginning to worship and rejoice.

Almost four years ago I went through a very aggressive treatment for throat cancer: thirty-nine radiation treatments and three and a half weeks of being on chemo twenty-four hours a day, five days each week. During my time in the valley of cancer I learned afresh the prevailing power of praise. In addition to my daily devotional times, whenever I sensed that anxiety or fear was beginning to rise in me I would begin to praise and worship the Lord. I’ve written on this before so I won’t deal at length with it here. God comes to His people when they are praising Him (Psalm 22:3) and fear and anxiety cannot exist in God’s presence.

The word of the Lord to David was, “Don’t stay in the stronghold; depart, and go to the land of Judah.” To get to Judah David had to “depart” and that meant he had a choice to make. To go or stay is the question David had to answer—and so do we. To depart means we are coming out of the stronghold we’ve erected for ourselves, and by learning to praise we begin to live in the fortress/stronghold that God has promised He would be for us.

“The Lord is a stronghold for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. And those who know your name put their trust in you, for you, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek you. Sing praises to the Lord, who sits enthroned in Zion!” (Psalm 9:9-11, ESV).



No comments:

Post a Comment