Friday, June 7, 2013

A SURPRISE FROM FATHER


I love the way the Holy Spirit directs my attention to a verse of Scripture He wants to open up to me. What happens usually is quite unexpected and I have learned to treasure these moments. 

A few days ago I was preparing to have my early morning time with the Lord. My devotional pattern is quite simple: I spend 30 to 40 minutes reading the Word and then at least that much time in worship, prayer and quietness before the Lord. 

I like to do my devotional reading with my Bible and my computer in front of me. I always have my Bible open to the portion of Scripture I will be reading but I do my actual reading from my computer screen. Bible Gateway is one of my favorite resources because it allows me to have at least two versions of the same chapter up on the screen, and a slow mind like mine needs that, as it helps me to clarify difficult passages.

I was just about to type in the name of the book of the Bible where I had been reading when I casually glanced at the “Verse of the Day” on the Bible Gateway home page. Suddenly everything about my disciplined pattern went out the window (at least for that day). The “Verse of the Day” was 1 John 5:14-15: “And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have asked of him” (ESV).

This passage of Scripture didn’t hit me like a thundering freight train. No, it simply gripped me and surprised me because I wasn’t expecting it. But the moment it hit me, I knew that the Holy Spirit was opening this passage to me and it was a joyous understanding. When the Holy Spirit does this, and this is not the first time it’s happened and I pray it’s not the last, it is like a father who wants to give his child a gift and decides to surprise him with it. The father puts the item somewhere he knows the child will discover it and then he waits for the moment of discovery with the joy and love of a true father.

When we “stumble upon” the surprise and begin to unwrap it, I believe it brings joy to our Father’s heart and puts the smile that only a loving father can enjoy on His face. I love it when the Spirit of God surprises me and smiles at me.

Just a few thoughts about these two verses

·      I refer to these verses as “My Prayer Manifesto.” They establish our authority to ask with confidence. It’s okay to remind God of what He has promised in His Word but to be alert to the fact that He has not forgotten nor will He nor can He. Our reminding Him is more about us than it is about the possibility that He will forget.

·      The word confidence used here refers to the absence of fear; cheerful courage; boldness.  It does not refer to presumption or arrogance but to knowledge and humility. This is the humble boldness of Hebrews 4:16: “Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need” (ESV). This confidence comes from spending time with Him and maturing as a believer.

·      “Toward Him” is speaking of the freedom of access that we have to the Father, the freedom to come freely into His presence and make our requests known.

·      “According to His will.” How do we know we are praying according to His will? This is answered first and foremost by what is clearly laid out in His Word. Is what you are asking for in clear alignment with His Word?

A person who is living fully as a Spirit-filled believer and is filled with the Word of God, who prays in the name of Jesus, who is in complete harmony with Him, is never desirous of praying contrary to the will of God.

The most challenging prayer for some is, “I want Your will, not mine.” I remember hearing a well-known pastor say, “Only immature believers insert the words, ‘If this be Your will’ into their prayers.” He had it backwards! In the Garden of Gethsemane just hours before His crucifixion, Jesus prayed, “Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done” (Luke 22:42, ESV). And Jesus was not immature.

·      “He hears us.” I am constantly amazed that out of six billion people on the planet, God knows who I am, where I live, what I am doing, and when I pray He hears me! If that doesn’t thrill you, then jump in a hole and let them pile dirt on you because you are dead.

But know that the Lord has set apart the godly for himself; the Lord hears when I call to him” (Psalm 4:3, ESV).

·      “If we know” that we have prayed according to His will then we know that “we have the requests” that we have asked of Him.


What a great way to be surprised by the Father. He is smiling at you right now as you receive the truth of His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment