Friday, August 3, 2012

GUARDED BY THE PEACE OF GOD



Paul was insistent that the church at Philippi be a prayerful and thankful church. Ten times in this rather brief letter Paul encouraged the Philippians to be rejoicing people. “Rejoice,” he said. “Be happy by finding your joy in the Lord.” And then he would repeat himself as if to emphasize the importance of being joyful. Paul was not teaching that the church should just have a positive attitude but that they should embrace the fact that God is in control and be confident. Paul was teaching that joy is in the Lord.

“Rejoice in the Lord always; and I will say, Rejoice” (Philippians 4:4).

Paul told the Philippians that giving in to anxiety and worrying was wrong. “Do not be anxious about anything” (verse 6). Francis Chan wrote: “Worry implies that we don’t quite trust that God is big enough, powerful enough, or loving enough to take care of what’s happening in our lives.” Instead, Paul says, “In everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God” (verse 6).

But before we get too excited about this, let’s make certain that we are reading Paul’s injunction clearly. “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.”

This is a challenging exhortation and bears repeating: “Don’t be anxious about anything but pray about everything with thanksgiving!”

Paul adds the word supplication to his call to pray. The word means intensity and earnestness in extended prayer — it is not a general prayer but is very specific, intense and prevailing.

The original word used for thanksgiving in Philippians 4:6 is the word from which we get the word Eucharist. Here it means “with thanksgiving to God in worship.” The phrase “with thanksgiving” has special meaning for me. Let me explain.

Almost two years ago I was diagnosed with a cancerous growth in my throat, specifically in one of the lymph glands. Having the doctors tell you that you have a malignant tumor will ruin any day. The first thing Carol and I did was pray together and commit our lives afresh to the Lord. We asked for His divine guidance and, specifically, for His healing power to touch my body. I then called our pastor and arranged for the elders of our church to pray for me. With every fiber of my being I wanted to be instantly healed — and I would be healed, but not quite instantly.

The doctors were concerned because they could not identify where this cancer was coming from. They like to do that so that they can, destroy that point of origin in the body, if possible. They never could find that in me and so they prepared a very aggressive treatment plan. For over eight weeks I went every morning (M-F) for radiation in my throat, and part of that time I was also connected to a portable chemo pump twenty-four hours a day for five days of each week.

It was a grueling time and I am so grateful for a supportive wife and family and praying friends.

If I am susceptible to anxiety and fear, it’s usually when I’m tired or not feeling well. During the treatment period, there were many nights when I couldn’t sleep so rather than toss and turn and disturb my wife, I got up and went into our den. More than once I found myself beginning to get anxious. I would think, “Is this the end?” and anxiety and fear would try to take hold.

I learned during times like this to begin to worship, to be thankful, to rejoice in the Lord. But how could I be thankful when all hell was breaking loose? Very simply! I would just begin to thank the Lord for my salvation, for His blessings on my family, for my wife, my children, my grandchildren, my church, my pastors, my friends, for His Word, for His promises, for all the good things I had seen Him do over my life. I would name them one by one and give thanks to Him for all He had done.

The more I worshiped Him and the more I gave myself to worship, the more the anxiety and fear diminished. It is a discipline to worship when you are sick or under pressure. Your mind and perhaps your body will tell you not to do it, and that is where the discipline comes in — you worship anyway! At first it may seem wooden and remote. It may not be easy but it puts the powers of hell to flight and invites the presence of God — and with His presence comes His peace.
 
Psalm 22:3 says, “You (Father God) are holy, enthroned on the praises of Israel.”  We are the spiritual Israel and when we, God’s children, begin to worship and praise Him, we are literally enthroning Him in our lives. Fear and anxiety cannot coexist with God’s presence; His presence takes precedence and anxiety/fear is banished and the peace of God comes.

Note the progression of Paul’s teaching. First, he says, “Pray about everything,” and then he adds, “with thanksgiving.” Finally, he says, “The peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard (keep) your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:6-7). We pray, we give thanks and then the peace comes.

The word guard, or keep as it is in the King James, is a very expressive military term. It means to establish a military post, to protect with a garrison. Paul is saying that when we give ourselves to the Lord in prayer and thanksgiving, He blesses us with His peace which cannot be disturbed. We are garrisoned and protected by the peace of God when anxiety threatens.

It is our worship that brings the peace of God into our hearts and as we continue to worship, the peace of God continues to guard our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment