Friday, May 20, 2011

IT PUTS FORTH POWER

Several times over the years, I have commented about how much I have learned to value the Word of God. I have found it extremely important to spend time “in the Word” every day, a valuable lesson I learned from my dad. When I was a teenager, I would get up at 5 o’clock for an early-morning paper route in Vancouver, B.C. After delivering the papers, I would return home around 7 o’clock to eat breakfast and get ready for school. Every morning when I got back to the house, Dad was sitting at the kitchen table with a cup of coffee and his Bible in front of him…getting ready for his day! I can still see my dad sitting there partaking of God’s Word. His example was one of the first to teach me to value the Word.

As I continue to learn about the Word and its value in my life, I have learned not to try to make the Word say what I want to hear or what I think will meet the needs in my life at that moment. I am learning to let the Word speak and bring its power, healing and guidance to me. Honestly, when I stop trying to “work the Word” and let it do its work its way, the results are fantastic. When I try and do it my way…not so good!

“And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is at work in you who believe” (1 Thessalonians 2:13 NIV).

Are you ever guilty of trying to “steer” the Word to reach a conclusion that meets the need you have…or am I the only “sinner” on this issue? The word used here for “work” is the Greek word from which we get the word energy. The Greek word means “to put forth power” and it is speaking of supernatural power. We do not need to “work the Word” but instead we need to let the Word “work” in us and do so in faith. The energy/power of God’s Word will do so much more if we allow it to than we can through our manipulation.

“For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart” (Hebrews 4:12 NIV).

The Word is alive and it will minister to you as an individual. What it says to you or me will not change in principle but will speak to me at my point of need and to you in a way that is meaningful for you. The Word is active—it is not static or stagnant. It is a catalyst that causes things to happen around it, just because it is there. Catalysts cause things to happen but they do not change themselves.

“He sent forth his word and healed them; he rescued them from the grave” (Psalm 107:20 NIV).

I believe that most healing and deliverance takes place because we get into the Word and get the Word into us. The power of the God-breathed Word brings healing to broken places in our lives and deliverance from the ravages of sin. If you are in need of healing in any area of your life, then here’s a tried and true prescription guaranteed to bring results…take a fifteen-minute dose of God’s Word every day and be astounded at the results.

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path” (Psalm 119:105 NIV).

The Bible becomes the illumination that helps us to stay on the right path for our journey of faith. When we stay within the reach of the light, we know that we are staying on the path of faith that God has for us. The Word/lamp will not help you to see much more than a few steps at a time; that’s why our journey is called a “life of faith.”

“All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness” (2 Timothy 3:16 NIV).

The highest pursuit of every believer is to please the Lord and if the Word of God is God talking to us and laying out His plan for our lives, then in a way the Bible becomes the believer’s “Owner’s Manual.” To know how God wants things done, to please Him, we need to go to the “Owner’s Manual” and follow the instructions.

Let me recommend a book: “The Divine Mentor” by Wayne Cordeiro. This book provides a very fresh look at the value of daily/regular exposure to the Word. I have read this book several times and have learned a great deal. Thanks to my friend, Scott Ethridge, pastor of The Healing Place in Shreveport, LA, for bringing this author and his writing to my attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment