Friday, June 4, 2010

I KNOW!

The pastor on the phone was really angry and as I listened I didn’t blame him. Before the call ended, we made arrangements to meet the next day.

As soon as I finished the call, I talked with one of my trusted friends and we discussed the troubling accusations against one of our mutual acquaintances.

As I sat with the pastor the next afternoon and heard the full story, I only interrupted him to clarify a few things I didn’t understand. I just let him talk it out and when he finished, I had little to say. I looked at him and finally said, “I agree with your assessment and I understand your anger. I know the accused person and, sadly, I know he is fully capable of doing what you have described.”

Over the years in ministry and travel, I have met many people. Perhaps I’ve spoken in their church or had coffee with them during a ministry assignment. Years later I might see them again and, yes, we know each other but it’s a distant and not very personal knowing.

Most of us have a circle of friends that we know fairly well. We call them by their first name and perhaps we see them every week at church; occasionally we might do something social with them. They are friends but not that close.

And then we have a small circle of close friends that we call our “best friends.” These are those we talk to about everything, friends who know us pretty well and still like us.

The design and plan of God is that the closest, most intimate relationship is that between a husband and wife. The Bible describes this as a “one flesh” relationship…the most intimate of intimate. This is the type of relationship Christ desires to have with His people, with His church.

In the earlier writings of the Bible, before the coming of Jesus and the advent of the church, the phraseology used was slightly different but no less potent in its meaning.

Psalm 9:10: “Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you.”

To those of us raised under the influence of western culture, on the surface that verse will not have the same depth of meaning the Psalmist intended. In ancient days to say that you knew a person’s name was to say, “I know this person, his character, his integrity, the way he lives his life, and because I know these things, I trust him.” It’s different today—I know the name of Bill Clinton but I have little trust in his character.

I have referred to the word “know” in past articles. The word in the Hebrew is YADA, which means to know on the most intimate level, the level of intimacy that is reserved for husbands and wives. This Hebrew word is used almost one thousand times in the Old Testament. It’s an important word and one that we need to understand.

Most Americans and Canadians know the name of God but a much smaller group actually know God. An even smaller group has become intimate with Him, and that is a tragedy because it’s out of knowing Him, knowing His name, that trust/faith grows.

When I told the angry pastor that I knew the accused was capable of the wrong, I knew that by experience, and at the same time I also knew what needed to happen next. I knew the first because I knew the accused quite well, and I knew the second, the steps to take, because I know God.

“They that do know their God shall be strong, and do exploits” (Daniel 11:32). Daniel’s prophecy of the end-times helps to fill out the picture of the value of “knowing” Him. Today’s church has been sold a “Nigerian scam” by many television teachers. They tell you to do these things, buy these tapes, say these phrases, attend this convention, give this much money—and your faith will soar.

The key issue in building your faith is in “knowing” Him. Sound easy? Think again! Knowing Him, building your faith, requires all the discipline required in building a good marriage. A good marriage requires time, work, discipline, and communication; it will not happen overnight but because of love, it will happen. So it is with our “knowing” Him; He loves us unconditionally and we respond the best we can, out of our brokenness, and the relationship builds.

In the closing moments of King David’s life, he called together all the leaders of Israel. David rehearsed his being chosen as king and established that Solomon would follow him as the next king of Israel. David, the great king, then turned his attention to his son, his successor, with these end-of-life instructions:
“As for you, my son Solomon, know (yada) the God of your father, and serve Him with a loyal heart and with a willing mind; for the Lord searches all hearts and understands all the intent of the thoughts. If you seek Him, He will be found by you; but if you forsake Him, He will cast you off forever” (1 Chronicles 28:9 NKJ).

David knew that if Solomon didn’t know the Lord, he would personally be a failure and would lead the nation into failure.

2 comments:

  1. Amen, brother. Thanks so much for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And again and again, the Lord seems to give you insite and words that I need at the time most needed. For He is good in ALL matters ...
    Blessings, and thank you.

    ReplyDelete