Saturday, January 9, 2010

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!

Psalm 46 is one of my “comfort food” passages. When I am overtired, under stress or have just generally been bumped around by life a little more than I can handle I indulge myself in one or several “comfort food” passages. I have written about “comfort food” before and you can go to the archives on the right side of the page and select the articles written in 2007 and then go to Sept. 9, 2007.

In this article I will touch on a few of the truths contained in Psalm 46. It is worthy spending quality time in this rich and comforting Psalm.
God is our refuge and strength,
A very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear,
Even though the earth be removed,
And though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;
Though its waters roar and be troubled,
Though the mountains shake with its swelling.
(Psalm 46:1-3)

I learned to appreciate the first verses of Psalm 46 during the years we lived in California. It seemed like every few years there would be a “word” on the Charismatic grapevine that California was going to have a major earthquake and part of it would slide into the ocean. Verse two and three brought a lot of comfort to those of us who have lived through earthquakes.

Verse 4 begins with “There is a river” a few months ago I wrote about the river (August 15). I believe that these verses remind us that God is in the midst of His kingdom and His kingdom people .

Verse 5 “ God is in the midst of her, she shall not be moved;” the later part of the sentence is referring to a violent shaking that would culminate in the destruction of God’s kingdom and God says “no that will not happen”.

The second part of verse 5 is a declaration of faith “God shall help her, just at the break of dawn”. The Psalmist uses metaphorical language here to describe what happens when God’s help is displayed. In some of the older translations the wording is “and that right early”. When the dawn breaks darkness is pushed back by the light. When God steps into a situation, that which was unfixable is suddenly made whole, that which was broken is mended, that which was near death is made fully alive. More than once Carol and I have been confronted with ministry situations that were totally beyond us, they were far beyond our skill level, there was nothing humanly possible for us to do and so we prayed and gave it to Him. When we gave it to Him what had seemed so totally impossible to be resolved or mended was suddenly fixed, suddenly mended, suddenly over and that is “the break of dawn”.

Only one thing conquers and vanquishes darkness and that is light. When the dawn breaks darkness is pushed back. Light represents understanding and victory. Jesus said, “I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness….” (John 8:12)

Verse 9 “He makes wars to cease”.
It’s easy to look at this statement and make a broad generalized application that someday God will bring peace to the earth and make all wars to cease. True, but he also wants to put an end to the wars that engulf you. What are your battles? Are you fighting a battle with temptation, a problem, another person? What ever it is that we are battling with “He makes wars to cease.”

Verse 10 is probably the best known verse of this passage. “Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!”

During a particularly difficult transition time that I was involved in leading a ministry through, nearly 30 years ago, a dear friend encouraged me to get hold of this verse “Be still and know that I am God”. My friend was encouraging me to quiet my spirit and listen to the voice of the Lord. It was good advice.
But, that it not the full application of this statement “Be still and know that I am God”. This was primarily a declaration on the part of God to the nations that harassed and warred with Israel, that were clamoring for Israel’s demise. God was saying to them, and this is my paraphrase “Sit down and shut up, stop all your threats. I am God. I will be exalted in this situation. I will be exalted in all the earth.” This has the ring of victory to it!

“Be still and know (yada) that I am God”. To His people the Lord says, “Sit down, stop all your frantic activity and get to know Me!" When we do that we exalt Him in our hearts and then He will be exalted in our circumstances and that’s His promise! “Be still” is a command. To “be still” is an act of recognition and reverence, it is our response to God’s statement “I will be exalted”.

No comments:

Post a Comment