Saturday, August 22, 2009

THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE UNASHAMED

Paul wrote the book of Romans around 56 AD while he was in Corinth. Paul’s conversion happened in 35 AD and in the twenty-one years following, he had become a truly magnificent man of God. Two thousand years later Paul’s writings, anointed by the Holy Spirit and inspired by God, still nourish and direct millions of believers every day.

In my opinion, Romans 1:16-17 is Paul’s mission statement. It defines, in large part, his approach to his life and ministry.

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “The just shall live by faith.”

But why would Paul feel the need to declare that he was not ashamed of the gospel? Had something happened that made him falter in his faith? I don’t think so. I believe that Paul had been attacked or questioned about his desire to go and preach in Rome. It’s very conceivable that he had come under attack even by some of his friends in Corinth who tried to dissuade him from embarking on what they thought would be a hopeless venture. Their argument could have gone something like this, “You know, Paul, that the gospel works well here in Corinth among the lowlifes, but now Rome…well, that’s a different matter. Rome is full of very sophisticated people, philosophies and religions. This gospel you preach is just too simple for them. You are going to be embarrassed in Rome so don’t go! Stay here—we love you!”

Paul knew he had a date with destiny in Rome and he was on his way. Rome was a proud city, full of great philosophies and religion. The gospel Paul was preaching came from Jerusalem, the capital of one of the smallest and most inconsequential nations that Rome had conquered. Jerusalem was not a world-class city; Paul was a tentmaker; and Jesus was a carpenter who died a horrible death on a Roman cross. Still, Paul was not ashamed because he was confident in the message of Christ. And he was not ashamed because he personally knew the power of the gospel and what it could do!

Below is a statement that I heard given in a large men’s gathering when I worked with Dr. Ed Cole. I loved the declaration the first time I heard it and I love it now. I tried to track down the identity of the author, without success. Lots of people have tried to lay claim to it but research shows it was written by the infamous person with the Greek-sounding name of “Anonymous.”

Whoever the author was, I would love to tell him two things: You got it right—and thank you!

The Fellowship of the Unashamed is a declaration we need to read from time to time and to remind ourselves that this is what Paul was talking about when he said, “I am not ashamed….”

THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE UNASHAMED

I am a part of the Fellowship of the Unashamed.

The die has been cast. The decision has been made. I have stepped over the line. I won’t look back, let up, slow down, back away or be still.

My past is redeemed, my present makes sense, and my future is in God’s hands. I am finished and done with low living, sight walking, small planning, the bare minimum, smooth knees, colorless dreams, tamed visions, mundane talking, frivolous living, selfish giving, and dwarfed goals.

I no longer need preeminence, prosperity, position, promotions, applause, or popularity.

I don’t have to be right, first, the best, recognized, praised, regarded, or rewarded. I now live by faith. I lean on Christ’s presence. I love with patience, live by prayer, and labor with the power of God’s grace.

My face is set. My gait is fast, my goal is heaven. My road is narrow, my way is rough, my companions are few, my Guide is reliable, and my mission is clear.

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.

I won’t give up, shut up, let up or slow up until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and spoken up for the cause of Christ.

I am a disciple of Jesus. I must go till He comes, give until I drop, speak out until all know, and work until He stops me.

And when He returns for His own, He will have no difficulty recognizing me. My banner is clear: I am a part of the Fellowship of the Unashamed.

No comments:

Post a Comment