Tuesday, August 21, 2007

SOAKED AND GLAD OF IT!

In the previous portion of this epistle (I hesitate to call it a teaching) entitled “The Shield of Faith,” I talked about how Roman soldiers soaked their leather-covered shields before going into battle. In this way, when the enemy shot flaming arrows at them, instead of their wooden shield catching fire, the wet leather would extinguish the arrows.

As I thought about this, I realized this is a wonderful truth for daily living as a believer in a world that is becoming increasingly difficult. The picture of the soaked shield extinguishing the flaming arrows of the enemy has a very practical application for us.

First, we need to understand the definition of soaked. To be soaked means to be thoroughly saturated by immersion in water or another liquid.

The word picture that I believe Paul is wanting us to get is that when we are “soaked” as Christians, we then have a shield of faith that is a powerful defensive weapon and will quench the fiery darts that the enemy is shooting at us.

The question, then, is how to get “soaked” so that our shields are raised and ready for battle. I don’t think the answer is complicated or requires some kind of extreme sacrifice. I believe that “soaking” takes place when:

1. We are regularly immersed in the Word. I think we are talking about taking in the Word at least a few minutes a day.

2. We are regularly immersed in prayer. Most of us have commute times…maybe we can turn off the radio and the music for a few minutes and just talk to the Lord. Don’t worry about what people think, they’ll just think you are using your phone and you will be….to Heaven!

3. We are regularly immersed in worship. Worship is important, both at church and perhaps again during our quiet times. Some days I don’t feel like asking the Lord for a thing, all I want to do is worship Him. I give thanks and I sing…we have so much to be thankful for!

4. We are active in the Spirit and in our heavenly language. Again, it doesn’t have to be lengthy but regular and sincere and we activate the Spirit within us.

The alternative to being a “soaked” believer is not very attractive. I don’t want to think about trying to protect myself with a shield that would actually add to the ability of the fiery darts of the enemy to burn rather than extinguishing them

“Those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. They shall mount up with wings like eagles. They shall run and not be weary. They shall walk and not faint” (Isaiah 40:31).


This is an Old Testament picture of “soaking.” It doesn’t mean to sit and wait and do nothing but, instead, the Hebrew meaning is “to look expectantly for and to entwine yourself with the object of your waiting.” When we read the Word, or pray or worship, what is the object of our attention? It is one person…the Lord Jesus!

I’m all wet and I intend to stay that way!

1 comment:

  1. Hi David,
    I took a few moments today to read your post on being soaked, and, I loved it. Keep those good words coming. -Tonya

    ReplyDelete